samba share setup on linux clients

I have a samba server and a new linux client that the 5
members of the family will use. Prior to this the client was
a win2000 machine with the shares defined per user as mapped
drives. I would like to create a similar functionality on
the new linux setup.
What I want to achieve is to have these shares mapped when
they login so that when they open applications that store
data on the server the application finds the data.
The server has shares defined per user and per users who are
members of certain groups.
I use the gnome desktop on the client. In the nautilus
browser I can see the shares that are browseable and visit
them. I can mount the user shares by smb://server/sharename
and entering the password when asked. The user share mapping
established this way sometimes persists from session to
session, but I don't know if it will be dependable or
recognized by applications. I have been looking at the
gconf-editor to see if I could define the shares there but I
have not as of yet figured it out.

I would like to avoid setting up mount points in fstab. Is
there a tutorial on line to show how to setup what I want?

Jim KR