[Position-wanted] Please comment on the new posting rules for those seeking or offering jobs

On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 6:14 PM, Bill Horne <bill-CIZd1d4GmLheoWH0uzbU5w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> The BLU is changing the procedure for posting "Help wanted" and "Seeking
> Employment" notices.

Just curious. What's the reason for the new procedure? In what ways
does it differ from the old?

GNHLUG just requires that posters belong to the list, that the posting
be *-Nix related, and that the list is moderated. Mostly our problem
is not seeing enough postings. The Windows-only postings can be easily
ignored.

I'm not sure how long a "screen" of information is, nor how it can be
"complete and self-contained." These seem rather in conflict. I don't
object to a long posting and often find it to be quite revealing.

Proficiency in foreign languages is encouraged, but why not
proficiency at programming languages, or hardware? Seems like a funny
thing to pick out of all of the pointers in posting a good CV.

Re: permission to fact-check: I was a little uncomfortable with this.
What goes on between employer and potential employee is pretty well
established in law and I don't think we want to be providing any
guidance, correct or not.

Re: Boston-area. What qualifies as Boston-area these days? As an
independent contractor, I've worked with clients who live in lands I'm
hard-pressed to find on a map. With the internet, the world has become
much flatter. I also know several people who've moved cross-country
for the right position. I know we don't want to become a competitor to
Monster nor a graffitti board, but we don't want to restrict the
opportunities, too.

--
Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC