Color laser printer

On 01/23/2009 09:28 PM, Robert La Ferla wrote:
> The Brother HL-4070CDW is hands down the best color laser printer I
> have ever used.  It was a breeze to set up.  It has built-in =20
> Ethernet.  The color is crisp and it can print on both sides of the =20
> page (duplex printing.)  I have the HL-2700CN at home but the =20
> HL-4070CDW at work is everyone's favorite printer.  $469 from =20
> Amazon.com.  Only caveat is that color toner is $$$$.
>  =20
I've heard many good things about Brother printers and Linux, and if I=20
had not gotten the HP Color Laserjet 4500n free, I might have bought a=20
Brother. The compatible cartridges at Ink Jet Superstore are $63.99=20
compared to $20 black. $35 color for the cartridges I bought for the HP. =

The Brother cartridges from them are $143.99. One of the things that one =

should look at when considering a printer is the use and page yield per=20
cartridge. Today you can get a decent ink-jet printer for well under=20
$100, but when you consider the price of ink, The page yield for the=20
Brother is about 6600 pages per cartridge. In contrast, the page yield=20
for the black ink jet (Officejet 5610) that I also got free for wife is=20
430 black, 130 tri-color. The HP cartridges are $16.99 at Ink Jet=20
Superstore.  So, you are talking about  $0.04 per page in contrast to =20
about $.02 per page for a Brother laser (Brother Black cartridges).=20
Color is more expensive, but still a similar ratio. Basically, in a home =

environment, your laser will run for a few years without needing a new=20
cartridge depending on use.

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846