MMapFile: File locking failed with error code 37

Jerry Feldman wrote:
> We are having some issues with RHEL 5.2 NFS.  If I run the program on a
> system with local disks, everything works fine, but if I run it on an
> NFS mounted drive, I get this error. I've tried this on a couple of
> different systems in my office, on a couple of different directories
> including my home directory. I have no problem creating files on any of
> the systems. This problem did not show up when we were running RHEL 4
> Update 6.

Given your 'ps' output, I'm assuming the answer to this is yes, but if on the
client you do:
 rpcinfo -p
and
 rpcinfo -p <serverHostname>

do you see nlockmgr in both?

> Here are the actual error messages:
> mmap file locking error: No locks available
> MMapFile: File locking failed with error code 37
> MMapFile: '/home/gaf/from04.dat.0' has been locked by another process.
> MMap file creation failed for file /home/gaf/from04.dat.0

There are two conflicting error messages there.  One indicates that the file
is already locked (perhaps you copied too much from the other server?).  The
other error message might be that the rlimits are set differently (or that
user is running other stuff that uses all his available locks on the RHEL 5.2
box).  You can compare
 /etc/security/limits.conf
on the server boxes to see if there are differences (the 'locks' parameter in
particular).  Or just add an explicit entry in limits.conf for that user to
set his 'locks' high.

HTH,
Matt