voip vs. your isp

VoIP bandwidth requirements are minimal, about 64kbps max, even as far back
10 years ago cable modems were providing ~384kbps upload speeds, which is
enough to handle VoIP.  The question comes in regarding ping times and
response.  At the risk of starting a "me too" fest I do have to say that in
the past 5 years I've lived in 4 different apartments within the same area,
I had Comcast at all but one--for the first two years I had Vonage and had
spotty VoIP (dropping one of the side the conversation, random static
bursts)--second place I got Comcast's VoIP service and it was perfect, never
an issue... third place I had RCN and swapped over to another VoIP provider,
was flawless... now I'm back with Comcast in the 4th apartment but even w/
the same VoIP provider the service is again spotty.

The next hurdle after VoIP competition allegations will be VoD, services
like Netflix, Amazon, iTunes, etc who are competing directly with Comcast's
OnDemand services.

They've already started to restrict those services w/ their 250GB/mo cap on
downloads citing that average users don't need that much bandwidth...

Finally, in terms of FttH (fiber to the home), Comcast has no real reason to
push that yet... they are currentl focused on fiber to the neighborhood,
then they use coax to make up the short link to the home, coax is still
quite capable of handling the demands of a small neighborhood of users which
allows Comcast to minimize their fiber install and equipment costs and also
make use of their existing coax and device infrastructure.