GNOME 2.24 session management

Tom Metro wrote:
> Anyone notice that GNOME 2.24 (as shipped with Ubuntu 8.10 and FC 10)
> session management is broken? If you were pondering an upgrade to 8.10,
> and you make use of this feature, you might want to hold off.

I was beginning to suspect that it wasn't my fault that Gnome wouldn't
remember things anymore...

> It seems the GNOME developers decided the session management protocol
> needed a rewrite, and started down that path, but the developer working
> on it got busy elsewhere, and the code was left in a half finished
> state. (I haven't seen an explanation for why this wasn't done on a
> development branch.)

Yikes.  And Linus just switched back to Gnome from KDE because he thought
KDE4 was a disaster...(sorry, don't have the news link handy).  Given his
history of embarking on new projects because he thinks everything else
stinks (git comes to mind), I wouldn't be entirely surprised if the next
thing we see come out of him is a desktop environment :-P

Matt