dynamic DNS and static IPs

Matthew Gillen wrote:
> At one point, DynDNS was only free for DHCP addresses.

Dynamic DNS works by having a client machine contact the dynamic DNS
provider and either telling it the current IP of a domain, or letting
the provider figure out the IP from the socket connection. In either
case, how the IP happened to get assigned to the client computer should
be invisible to the dynamic DNS provider.

I'm not sure how a dynamic DNS provider could tell the difference. At
best they'd lookup up the PTR record on the IP and apply some heuristics
to the returned domain name to judge whether it was from a dynamic pool.

In a lot of modern setups, static IPs are still supplied by an ISP via DHCP.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA