dynamic DNS and static IPs

Tom Metro wrote:

| In a lot of modern setups, static IPs are still supplied by an ISP via DHCP.

A while back, when we grudgingly decided to abandon speakeasy for the
higher  speed that rcn could give us, a fellow came by to install the
cable and modem.  Finally he said it was all installed, and we'd  get
our static IP address in a day or two. While he was there, I fired up
a DHCP client (pump, I think), and it instantly got an  address  from
the  modem,  and I started using the connection.  The poor fellow was
amazed by this; he had no idea that such a thing was possible.

I expected the address to change, so I checked periodically,  but  we
still  have the same address today.  So they had assigned the address
before they sent out the guy to do the installation, but they  didn't
send the address with him.  I wasn't impressed.

--
I ??? Unicode