audio problem

Hello:

I have an Dell netbook with a 32 GB hard drive, so I have been able to
install all the software and data files that are on my workstation.  I
am happy it is just as functional as the 4x4 (for cores, four gigs of
RAM).

Imagine how unhappy I was to loose sound!  My favorite use is to got
to YouTube and listed to physics lectures, which loses its appeal with
no sound.  I hit the function sound keys at the top of the keyboard,
and that looked good.

It wasn't

/usr/bin/gnome-volume-control overruled the system was muted.  Unmute
through that program, and sound returned.  I like using the function
button to turn sound up and down, but will remain skeptical for how
well that interacts with gnome, particularly from session to session.

Doug