Linux on-demand virus protection?

On Sat, 31 Jan 2009, Scott R. Ehrlich wrote:

> Does anyone know of a good, reliable virus protection program for Linux that
> supports on-demand protection - that is, if a Windows or other
> virus/worm/malware activates, some mechanism of the virus protection
> application automatically (reactively) traps said application from causing
> [more] damage?
>
> Thus far, McAfee's uvscan and ClamAV's clamscan do NOT support such
> functionality.   It would be nice to find a recommended AV program that does.

I take it that the Windows box is going to be executing code stored on a
Linux system, and use Samba to access that code? You could use Kaspersky
anti-virus (which can run from the command line in Linux or FreeBSD)  and
configure Samba (use the samba "preexec command) to run Kaspersky on the
code before offerring it to the PC box, but that would slow things down so
much that I doubt it would work. Samba would have to finish the scan
before it delivered the first byte to the client. You might scan the files
as they are written, though.

Dan Feenberg