Backups

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 4:04 AM, Samuel Baldwin <shardz4217-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>wrote:

> I'm curious to know what people use, and would recommend, as ways to
> manage backups. Specifically, on-site backups, both of large amounts
> of data (in this case, videos for a editing group), and configuration
> files and website data (linux (Debian) server).
> --
> Samuel 'Shardz' Baldwin - staticfree.info/~samuel/<http://staticfree.info/%7Esamuel/>

I like Bacula.  It operates from a central management server, then you have
1 or many storage devices that it can control.  So in my situation, I've got
the main bacula director in my main datacenter, each datacenter has an
server with a ton of disk space (disk based backup) and a local tape
library.  The main server has a list of all clients to backup and that they
should be backed up to the local server's disk for fast retrieval, then
pushes the backups to the local tape library.

If I didn't care about my bandwidth costs, I could change the config files
to say that client in datacenter A backed up to server and tape library in
datacenter B.

It also has a windows client for those who want to backup windows desktops
or servers.  The windows client also supports Windows Volume Shadow Copy for
copying live data while it's being accessed.

http://www.bacula.org/en/dev-manual/Current_State_Bacula.html

-matt
http://www.sysadminvalley.com
http://www.beantownhost.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/mattboston
Doug Larson  - "Instead of giving a politician the keys to the city, it
might be better to change the locks."