gdm err

I checked /etc/group on my Ubuntu partition and I have groups klog and
adm. I'd venture a guess that your /etc/group file is either missing or
corrupt, or /etc/nsswitch.conf has settings for group that are not
correct.  If /etc/nsswitch.conf exists, the group: line should have
compat or file as the source.  If /etc/nsswitch.conf doesn't exist,
don't worry, the default for group is compat.