share your experiences with Earthlink Internet over Comcast cable

I'm trying to shop around for cheaper Internet to my apartment in Malden. I
am using Comcast "Basic" Cable TV plus their cheapest Internet speed, which
comes out to somewhere between $50 and $60 after fees and taxes and stuff.
It costs at least $3 more if I drop the "Basic Cable TV" option. Go figure.

Earthlink is offering cable Internet (no TV) over Comcast lines for
$46/month after 3 months of $30/month introductory price. I started to talk
to a sales person (via text chat) and I was able to determine that there is
a $3 modem rental fee, which is supposedly waived if you own your own modem.
After deflecting a push to sign up RIGHT NOW, I managed to get him to tell
me that the transition from Comcast service to Earthlink service over my
line would be seamless, but I'm not inclined to believe him, because he kept
pushing the "sign up now -- no risk! -- it's really easy" angle. It was like
talking to a door-to-door utility sales con artist company like IDT Energy;
I was forced to figuratively close the door on him.

So, if I may, I ask you fellow BLU members: is anyone using this Earthlink
over Comcast service? What is the transition like from your old service? Is
the billing system functioning correctly? What is the REAL monthly rate
after taxes and imaginary fees and stuff?