NFS mounting a directory of symbolic links to other directories

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 10:50:49AM -0500, Don Levey wrote:

> Here's my situation:
> On my main server I have a directory containing all my music, in
> /base/music/artist/album format.  I created a second directory,
> /base/kidsmusic, intending to link to a subsection of the artists in the
> music directory and create a list of kid-safe music.
>
> I have both /base/music and /base/kidsmusic exported in my /etc/exports
> file, and I can mount the kidsmusic directory remotely.  However, while
> I can see all of the links remotely, I can't access them.

When you mount the kidsmusic directory, it is full of symlinks,
thus, you can ls them.

When these are dereferenced for access, they point to places
which don't exist on the client system.

Does that sound right?

-dsr-

You can't defend freedom by getting rid of it.