Launchpad to be free

I could see that.  Remember how long it took for Mozilla to release
Firefox after the public 'command' had been given?

Part of Mozilla release delay is they were almost embarrassed as to
the way some of the code looked and lack of
documentation (it was probably there, just not designed for
'outsiders' to see).  Personally, I would like to give
Canonical the benefit of the doubt, like any company that is committed
to going open source with their offerings.