Fedora 10 wireless timing out on bootup

On 03/05/2009 02:47 PM, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 05 March 2009 14:41:30 Matthew Gillen wrote:
>  =20
>> Randy Cole wrote:
>>    =20
>>> Under Fedora 10, my wireless is identified as eth1.  On bootup, stall=
s=20
>>> for a full minute until something times out.
>>>
>>> How can I prevent Fedora from waiting?  This doesn't seem to be a=20
>>> problem in Ubuntu.
>>>      =20
>> Try running system-config-network, and check the box that says "Contro=
lled by
>> NetworkManager", and un-check the box that says "Activate when compute=
r starts".

>> The latter option is usually redundant with the former.
>>    =20
>
> Just to explain a bit more what's going on here... Since the wireless d=
evice
> is identified as eth1, rather than wlan0, NM probably thinks its a wire=
> connection, and thus tries to start it earlier. Is that an out-of-tree =
wireless
> driver by chance?
>

>  =20
On my Ubuntu system, it also comes up as eth1, and NM has no problem in=20
identifying it.
DMESG shows the following message:

[   22.438061] udev: renamed network interface wlan0 to eth1

I'm using the native Broadcom driver with firmware cut by b43-fwcutter.
The only problem I had was that my laptop was connected to some idiot's=20
open connection (linksys) and not to the secure connection we have on=20
the desk next to me. So I had to reconnect to copy/paste the above line.

IMHO, NM has vastly improved over time. The only problem is at home=20
where I have a static IP, I was not able to get it to favor the static=20
IP over the dynamic,, so I switched back to the old manual way of=20
defining interfaces.

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846