Ethernet over unused twisted pair?

Scott R. Ehrlich wrote:
> I'm trying to find a way to get an Ethernet connection from a second floor
> room diagonally across the house to the first floor.    There is no plenum
> - no dropped ceiling, and having an electrician do the wiring is too
> expensive.
>
> I _could_ go wireless, but I'd much rather pursue a hardwired option
> first.
>
> So, it occurred to me that DSL is Ethernet than works over a pair of phone
> wire.   Is there any device that could convert the Ethernet signal from my
> Linksys box to something I could plug into a phone jack that is wired with
> the unused phone pair, then run a mating device in first floor's
> corresponding phone jack and get my hardwired network run that way?
>
> Could using two DSL boxes on the wire do the job?
>
> Other than an electrician and wireless, what are my options (other than
> do it yourself or don't do it at all)?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Scott

Scott,

You can use _TWO_ pairs for 10BaseT Ethernet, which was designed for
"class 3" wiring. Plus or minus the state of your house's phone cables,
you'll probably get enough for the trip across your house. This assumes,
of course, that you have two pairs, not just the one you mention; ergo,
a wireless telephone handset is in order. If you transition your
telephone system to wireless, you'll be able to use the existing two pairs.

Alternatively, you could make use of your cable TV cables for 10Base2
Ethernet:  there are also 10BaseT <> Coax converters available, so if
you have a coax at both locations and you're willing to re-purpose it,
that's another option.

Bill

--
E. William Horne