re-install problem

i have a server (hey, it's running linux so it's a server) that i need to
re-install windows on.
one of my kids wants to play a game that i am unable to get to work with
wine (civ 4 warlords, if you're interested).  vmware server won't handle the
directx9 3d graphics.  so, it looks like i have to re-install xp.
the problem is that none of my xp install disks work!
i get the intro "press any key" and do so. the text message "setup is
checking hardware" comes up and then goes away after a few seconds.  then,
nothing, nada, bupkis!  i've tried 4 different install disks, nope! i took a
couple of them to work to try on a linux server in my cube. also, nothing!
however, my work laptop (running windows) has no problem recognizing the
install cd and happily tries to reformat my drive!  this means that at least
one of the install cds is good.  i also used an old ide drive (which also
had fedora on it) and the install does the same thing.
so, i have three different machines and four different windows install cds.
i can start the install on a machine with windows.  on two machines with
linux (fedora 9 at home and f10 at work) i can't get the install started!

has anyone heard of such a problem?  have a resolution?

my ultimate goal is to be able to play a windows based directx9 3d game on
this machine, preferably keeping linux.  i have purchased a second copy of
civ4 for this purpose.  i might not like restrictive licensing but that
doesn't mean i have to run afoul of the terms.

tia...

--
If it ain't broke, you're not trying hard enough!