Off-topic: mp3 ripping bitrate

I like the concepts of using the presets. And also John's idea of archiving to FLAC and the related metadata. Thanks for all the excellent responses.

-Nilanjan

-----Original Message-----
From: John Abreau [mailto:abreauj-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org]
Sent: Wednesday, March 11, 2009 12:21 PM
To: Palit, Nilanjan
Cc: discuss-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org
Subject: Re: Off-topic: mp3 ripping bitrate

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 10:52 AM, Palit, Nilanjan
<nilanjan.palit-ral2JQCrhuEAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> I have been looking into how to get the most out ripping mp3 from CDs -- i.e.,
> best tradeoff between quality and filesize. I have found, from some online research,
> that 256 kbps is recommended for generally decent audio quality.

I just use "lame --preset standard"; I find the quality indistinguishable from
that of the original WAV file.

A bigger concern of mine is avoiding the tedium of re-ripping all my CDs
whenever I need to encode to a new format.  The second time I needed to re-rip
my collection, I used FLAC as the primary archive format, and then encoded
mp3 and ogg from the flac files. That way, if I need to do it again in
the future,
I can just write a script to iterate over all the flac files and
encode to the new
codec-du-jour without all the extra labor of swapping discs.

I also adopted the convention of archiving each album in its own directory
along with text files of its CDDB metadata and lyrics, and a 500x500  JPEG
of its cover image. I use the CDDB text file to generate ID3 tags when
encoding mp3's, or the equivalent metadata for other formats.

GnuPG KeyID: 0xD5C7B5D9 / Email: abreauj-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
GnuPG FP: 72 FB 39 4F 3C 3B D6 5B E0 C8 5A 6E F1 2C BE 99