imaging a drive to replace it

Tim Callaghan wrote:
> Just to keep it simple (I don't need the extra space even if I buy a
> larger hard drive) will partimage do the copy operation easily?

Clonezilla (http://www.clonezilla.org/) is probably your best bet if
you're looking for a friendly tool, and you aren't trying to do anything
too tricky, like cloning from a larger drive to a smaller drive. You
download an ISO and burn a bootabe CD for it. It's basically a small
Linux distribution with some common tools wrapped up in a "friendly" UI.
(However, it still falls quite short of the mark at being user friendly
compared to commercial tools I've used years ago, but if you're
uncomfortable with the command line alternatives, it's an improvement.)

Dan Ritter wrote:
> If you can plug them in at the same time, dd is your friend.

A recent Linux Journal article recommends using dd_rescue[1] instead of
plain dd when cloning even well functioning drives due to the progress
reporting provided by dd_rescue. dd_rescue is available in the
previously mentioned SystemRescueCd[2].

1. http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/ddrescue/
2. http://www.sysresccd.org/

  -Tom