TV wattage surprise

On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 05:56:41AM -0400, Scott R. Ehrlich wrote:
> In trying to save on energy consumption costs, I figured I'd look at my
> computer electronic devices - I have an old 19 inch tube tv, 95 watts.   I
> thought that was a lot.   I researched specs for some LCD tvs, and was
> shocked when I couldn't really find any 32 to 40 inch displays below 130
> watts!   The space for the tv has grown, so a larger tv would be
> beneficial, but the tradeoff of a larger screen also means more power
> draw, regardless of older tube-type or newer Energy-Star systems.

You're not comparing apples to apples. You're comparing squash
to pumpkins.

A 19" 4:3 set is 174 square inches. An appropriate 16:9 set to
compare it to would be around 24", which gives 185 square inches plus
sidebars in 4:3 mode, and 247 square inches in 16:9.

A Sceptre Naga X23BV is a 23" 720P LCD which costs $230 at
CostCo and has the usual TV set features. Nobody lists energy
consumption except in stand-by, but going by the usual rule of
thumb, I would expect a normal draw around 80W.

-dsr-

You can't defend freedom by getting rid of it.