GUI notifications from syslog

Anyone know of an existing solution or common approach for getting GUI
notifications from syslog? For example, configuring syslog to do
something with critical priority messages that results in them getting
displayed on the machine's desktop.

It should be easy enough to hack something together by having syslog
write to a named pipe and then using a shell script to read from it and
invoke a command line interface to libnotify[1] or with some Perl
glue[2], but I figure this is something that's been solved before.

I'm thinking of using broadcast syslog as a way of communicating
critical notifications on my LAN, and the above would complete the
presentation side of that. I had been using a peer-to-peer messaging
protocol for this sort of thing, but it has to be aimed at a specific
recipient host, which doesn't work if you need to have multiple
recipients. Jabber could work, but that introduces an added dependency
on a working Jabber server.

1. http://www.galago-project.org/news/index.php
2. http://search.cpan.org/~flora/Gtk2-Notify-0.05/lib/Gtk2/Notify.pm

  -Tom