Building / Buying a MythTV box

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 2:13 PM, Jarod Wilson <jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Friday 20 March 2009 12:22:14 Greg Rundlett (freephile) wrote:
>> I'm finally going to purchase the hardware to make my
>> Myth(dora|buntu|TV) dreams a reality. ?My goal is to have a free
>> software Home Theater that does movies/photos/music/TV plus Internet
>> browsing and email. ?I'd even like to be able to use applications
>> (e.g. gnucash) or games from the couch using a wireless keyboard and
>> gyro mouse like the famous LinuxMCE video. ?I don't have a big budget
>> ~ $900 or so. ?At that price point, the Monolith looks like a perfect
>> match. http://monolithmc.com/techspecs.php
>
> Rather mediocre specs for the cost. You could do a LOT better BYO.

That's what I thought, but I just didn't have a good sense of what to
buy for parts, and was thinking it might be worth it to just be "done"
by opening the box.  OK, I'm going to see if I can come up with a good
parts list.  Recommendations from regular systems builders?

[snip]

> I'm definitely partial to small-and-quiet in the AV cabinet, storage
> housed somewhere else where it can be as loud as it wants.
>
> --
> Jarod Wilson
> jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org

Thanks Jarod for all your MythTV contributions.  Even though I've got
your _autographed_ book from the GNHLUG presentation, I confess I
haven't found the time to read it.  /me looks up and pulls book off
shelf. Hmm, let me see what it says in here for hardware.

--
Greg Rundlett