Desktop relevance

i've been using the rpm.  i've applied the kernel header patch. but, it
still fails when building the modules.
i have installed 1.x on several i386 machines without a problem, at least
after the kernel patch.  so, i'm guessing that i'm following the procedure
correctly.
my explanation/guess/excuse has been that there's something funky with my
hardware.  also, i have problems installing real vnc on 64 bit.  the
installs for i386 are a breeze.

here's the output from cat /proc/cpuinfo:

processor    : 0
vendor_id    : AuthenticAMD
cpu family    : 15
model        : 35
model name    : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+
stepping    : 2
cpu MHz        : 2210.013
cache size    : 1024 KB
physical id    : 0
siblings    : 2
core id        : 0
cpu cores    : 2
apicid        : 0
initial apicid    : 0
fpu        : yes
fpu_exception    : yes
cpuid level    : 1
wp        : yes
flags        : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov
pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt lm
3dnowext 3dnow rep_good nopl pni lahf_lm cmp_legacy
bogomips    : 4420.02
TLB size    : 1024 4K pages
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment    : 64
address sizes    : 40 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management: ts fid vid ttp

processor    : 1
vendor_id    : AuthenticAMD
cpu family    : 15
model        : 35
model name    : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+
stepping    : 2
cpu MHz        : 2210.013
cache size    : 1024 KB
physical id    : 0
siblings    : 2
core id        : 1
cpu cores    : 2
apicid        : 1
initial apicid    : 1
fpu        : yes
fpu_exception    : yes
cpuid level    : 1
wp        : yes
flags        : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov
pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt lm
3dnowext 3dnow rep_good nopl pni lahf_lm cmp_legacy
bogomips    : 4419.79
TLB size    : 1024 4K pages
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment    : 64
address sizes    : 40 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management: ts fid vid ttp

tia...

--
If it ain't broke, you're not trying hard enough!