Cordless presentation mouse

Jerry Feldman wrote:
> A while back I lost my mini mouse that I kept with my laptop, but I'm
> thinking of getting a presentation mouse.

So what features makes a mouse qualify as a presentation mouse? Wireless
with extra buttons?

I can recommend the Logitech V550 Nano as a good non-presentation laptop
mouse. It has a good size (mid sized), good mechanics, a scroll wheel
with a mode where it can be spun at high speed and it'll coast,
permitting fast scrolling, right-left scrolling, and a middle button.
It's not Bluetooth, but uses a "nano" sized receiver that all but
disappears once you plug it in.

Most importantly, it works reliably, which hasn't been my experience
with wireless mice in the past. It wakes up immediately, and there's no
lag, or times when the cursor responds unexpectedly. The batteries have
also lasted the 3 months I've been using it. (Manufacturer claims
they'll last 18 months.)

It isn't sold as a presentation mouse, but it will work from across the
room, and I don't see why the middle button couldn't be mapped to a
"next slide" function or the right-left scroll buttons used for
forward/back. (I have the middle button mapped to a task switcher
function in Compiz where it displays thumbnails of all active windows in
the workspace. So yes, it works with Ubuntu.)

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA