Cordless presentation mouse

On 04/01/2009 03:39 PM, Tom Metro wrote:
> Jerry Feldman wrote:
>> A while back I lost my mini mouse that I kept with my laptop, but I'm =

>> thinking of getting a presentation mouse.
>
> So what features makes a mouse qualify as a presentation mouse?=20
> Wireless with extra buttons?
>
> I can recommend the Logitech V550 Nano as a good non-presentation=20
> laptop mouse. It has a good size (mid sized), good mechanics, a scroll =

> wheel with a mode where it can be spun at high speed and it'll coast,=20
> permitting fast scrolling, right-left scrolling, and a middle button.=20
> It's not Bluetooth, but uses a "nano" sized receiver that all but=20
> disappears once you plug it in.
>
> Most importantly, it works reliably, which hasn't been my experience=20
> with wireless mice in the past. It wakes up immediately, and there's=20
> no lag, or times when the cursor responds unexpectedly. The batteries=20
> have also lasted the 3 months I've been using it. (Manufacturer claims =

> they'll last 18 months.)
>
> It isn't sold as a presentation mouse, but it will work from across=20
> the room, and I don't see why the middle button couldn't be mapped to=20
> a "next slide" function or the right-left scroll buttons used for=20
> forward/back. (I have the middle button mapped to a task switcher=20
> function in Compiz where it displays thumbnails of all active windows=20
> in the workspace. So yes, it works with Ubuntu.)

It's not so much the wireless feature, it is really that the buttons,=20
wheel, and roller be able to work in one hand while making a=20
presentation away from a podium. Something like these products:
<http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-2-4-Cordless-Presenter-Black/dp/B0007KVK8=
E/ref=3Ddp_cp_ob_e_title_0>
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpN=
o=3D1160572&CatId=3D54

If it were just a portable mouse I needed for my laptop, I'd just buy a=20
cheap wired USB mouse.

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846