Dell Studio Hybrid won't work with ViewSonic vx2235wm monitor (DVI)

On Apr 13, 2009, at 9:23 AM, Neil Joseph Schelly wrote:

> On Monday 13 April 2009 08:39:32 am Greg Rundlett wrote:
>> Because there is no signal, the monitor light is amber
>> rather than blue.  The cable is known to work with my MacBook Pro.
>> The monitor is known to work (in Digital mode) connected to my
>> MacBook
>> Pro.  (The monitor also works in VGA mode, but that is beside the
>> point.)
>
> Sounds like you verified the cable and the monitor fine.  I'm
> curious when it
> stops working or if it never worked.  You mentioned upgrading
> drivers and
> everything - does that mean the monitor works for BIOS POST stuff
> and then
> goes off when the system tries to load the graphics drivers or a
> framebuffer
> or something?  Or have you never gotten any image on the monitor
> with the
> Dell machine and the DVI cable to that monitor?

I do know that Dell has released several bios updates for the hybrids
as well, so its possible an updated bios would help, if you're not
already running the latest.

I'm still running the original bios on mine, (1.0.4), due to dell's
bios updater for some reason not working when I try to run it off a
freedos/memdisk usb stick, but the reason I'm even bothering to look
at updating is to see if the newer bios kills off the phantom lvds
output (laptop panel) the original bios claims to have, which causes
some interesting issues with kernel mode-setting[1]. That phantom lvds
*could* be relevant to your case as well, not entirely sure -- a buddy
w/a hybrid had similar-ish issues with a Samsung (iirc) HDTV. But I
believe he at least got bios output on his TV.

[1] http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/4/6/141

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org