Dell Studio Hybrid won't work with ViewSonic vx2235wm monitor (DVI)

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 08:39:32AM -0400, Greg Rundlett wrote:
> I already own a ViewSonic vx2235wm 22" LCD (circa 2006) monitor (which
> has DVI and VGA inputs).  If I connect the Dell to the ViewSonic using a
> DVI cable there is no output to the monitor.  Nothing.  Because there is
> no signal, the monitor light is amber rather than blue.

I bet it's not the compuer; it's the monitor.

I have a Viewsonic vx2025wm that exhibits similar symptoms.  Works fine on
VGA, works fine on DVI with my Macbook, but sits in power save/no signal
mode using DVI to an Nvidia card in my desktop.

If you google for "dead dvi viewsonic" or "dell stuck dvi" and you'll turn
up a ton of hits.  Dell sold quite a few rebranded Viewsonics, and the
stuck DVI was a regular issue on their support forums.  Unfortunately Dell
took the forums down, but there are still posts out there about the issue.

I first saw the problem after plugging in a VGA cable to a second machine
while the DVI was connected to the desktop.  On the next reboot, the DVI
stopped working.  I can usually get it running again through some
combination of plugging and unplugging the DVI/VGA cables with power
ups/downs in the middle, but it's not reliable, and I've basically resigned
myself to using the VGA.

-ben

--
nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to
be normal.                                           <albert camus>