Campus cops treat Ubuntu use as sign of criminality

> On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 08:54:31AM -0400, David Kramer wrote:
> Jerry Feldman wrote:
> > BC has some issues being a Jesuit school surrounded by an upscale Jewish
> > neighborhood :-)
> >
> > We'll see how this plays out, but I think there might be a bit more in
> > this than a Linux console with a prompt.
>
> Whether the party is guilty or not, whether there's more to the story or
> not, it doesn't change the fact that they confiscated EVERY ELECTRONIC
> DEVICE he has, including his ipod, just on the suspicious nature of
> running Linux.  I find that unacceptable, and posted about it on my blog.
>
> http://thekramers.net/wordpress/index.php/20090415/boston-college-police-think-using-linux-is-suspicious-behavior/
>
> If it turns out they had other evidence BEFORE doing this, then I will
> back down, but until then I have a big problem with it.  The kid can no
> longer do his school work, and will likely fail all his classes, whether
> he is even charged with anything, let alone found guilty.  I smell law suit.

I certainly agree that they have effectively crippled this person's
life. It's becoming more and more clear today that the police can use
their powers in a retaliatory manner, incompatible with the idea that a
person is innocent until proven guilty.

[  Side note:
Tasers, originally approved to give officers a life saving alternative
to deadly force, are often used that make it clear the police officer is
using them because he does not like the attitude of the individual being
tasered.

Is this behavior a new trend or we just seeing it more often due to the
proliferation of video cameras and cellphone cameras?

With our increasing dependency on technology and its integration
into our lifestyles, we, as individuals are becoming more and more
vulnerable to denial of service attacks, even ones created by the
agencies responsible for protecting society. What was once the realm of
science fiction novels, pervasive societal control over individuals is
becoming more and more a reality.

The husband of a married couple in Dubai, was recently arrested in his
apartment minutes after quitting his job. The reason for his arrest is
that he had no income, and significant debt, which is illegal there
unless you happen to be rich or a Dubai citizen. The husband is in jail
and the wife is stranded, homeless in this land with a poor record on
human right
End Side Note: ]

Part of the information about this BC student case is that the
individual was already known to campus police for involvement in e-mail
harassment of a faculty member to the point of affecting their health,
and allegations that he was somehow involved in the use of, or the
actual stealing of laptops. Again all that information is in the form
of allegations. Nothing is proven. However I understand that the way
the police work is that once someone becomes "known" to them, they will
treat that individual more prejudiciously than the next individual.

As to the fact that the police took all of the individual's electronic
gadgets and paraphernalia, cellphone etc. that apparently is what
the electronic forensic training advises them to do. Whether that is
actually part of a valid investigation technique or simply a way to
be nasty to the individual is another question. :-) it certainly true
that in some cases it's just part of being nasty and in other cases the
police need all the cables etc. because they don't have any themselves
and in order to access the equipment they have to borrow from the
alleged criminal. :-)

The cellphone is certainly a special device. A computer in its own
right, it's also the ultimate tracking cookie. Unless the student had a
chance to wipe it before it was confiscated it contains a list of all
his contact information, records of whom he has been speaking to and
when, and may even contain incriminating files, pictures etc.

Is the only alternative to all go live naked in the woods ? :-)

(Note - i could only live naked in the woods if it included
coffee and warm weather all the time.... :)
oh, and broadband.

Jeff