End of MySQL?

On 04/22/2009 09:39 AM, Doug wrote:
>> I always thought of Oracle as one of those super expensive products to=

>> avoid (I heard they had an attractive sale force, the sign of a high
>> margin product).  They always could market services for Berkeley DB
>> and MySQL.  Now with the patina of ownership, perhaps they can make a
>> stronger pitch.  I guess what prevents Oracle from doing anything
>> draconian financially is that because they are open source, they can
>> be forked.
>>
>> Now I am a bigger fan of postgresql, an ACID DB from the start.
>>

>>    =20

Actually, my concern is not so much for MySQL because MySQL already has=20
an OpenSource fork, but for the other products. How will Oracle handle=20
the Java, StarOffice, and VirtualBox (Sun xVM) products. Additionally,=20
how will Oracle handle the support of OpenOffice.org.

I certainly think that Java and Solaris will benefit because they are=20
important to Oracle's business, but I don't see where StarOffice (and=20
OpenOffice) fit in.

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846