End of MySQL?

Hello:

One of the strengths of open source is that we are not suppose to
worry about the economics.  Does money make things better?  Debian is
still Debian, but Mark Shuttleworth's money has made Ubuntu a version
of Debian with greater reach.  I am not sure if Canonical is at
break-even or not.

Oracle is the great eater of other companies.  I have not watched
their track record.  Eating up open source projects should be
different though.  One business interest for Oracle behind the Office
projects is how it will pressure their competition, Microsoft.  If
their sales team has to sell boxes with software to enterprise users,
they can say "Look, no lincensing fee/seat for word processing and
spreadsheets".  That reason will drive them to put a polish on those
projects.

Doug