Whack-On-Lan

> So I am curious to hear what other BLU members are using to remotly reset
> machines via ethernet.  Does a consumer grade or cheap enterprise solution
> exist?

all of our servers are on IP-addressable PDUs (power distribution units).
basically power strips with built in web servers and snmp. each outlet can
be switched on and off remotely.

several vendors including apc.com, servertech.com, tripplite.com sell
these products with 2 to 20 or so outlets. you could put the server on a
UPS which has network control (same vendors as above).

some servers (sun, hp, ibm, apple, etc) include a "lights out management"
board which can give you remote power and console control.