Anyone using Ubuntu 9.04?

QTparted has been removed from ubuntu 9.04 because it is unmaintained.
It was kind of nice because it worked differently than Gparted & Parted.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Alsa-driver is still broken in Ubuntu 9.04 for HP w/IDT 92HD71B7 chipset
Alsa driver doesn't work for ATI RS780 / IDT chip found in my laptop. I
believe this chip is common to recent HP DV4, DV5, DV7 models. Affects
Ubuntu 8.10, Fedora 10, Ubuntu 9.04 (both LiveCD & upgrade from 8.10)

Workaround:
Go to alsaproject, download alsa-driver & alsa-kmirror. Compile
alsa-kmirror first. I used git checkout to pull the source, followed by
./gitconfigure and make install.

Recompile alsa-driver every time the kernel is changed.

IDT supposedly has Linux drivers, but will not provide them to
end-users. HP doesn't support Linux on their consumer laptops.

Since alsaproject has fixed this, this is an Ubuntu and Fedora bug.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

As for ctrl-alt-backspace being disabled by default for the benefit of
emacsen, that's ridiculous. Let's make 90% of the people suffer for <10%.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

I can confirm that upgrading to 9.04 Jaunty-Jackalope breaks the fglrx
driver on certain recent HP dv4 / dv5 / dv7 laptops using ATI Radeon
3200 graphics. Disable the proprietary driver before updating.
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-x/2009-March/000442.html

After following three levels of links from Mick's message, I got to some
confusing directions, including references to packages that don't exist.

I'm confused; Is fglrx deprecated? What is the replacement? I thought
downloading drivers directly from ATI was not recommended by ubuntu.

Here are easy directions from a machine that won't boot to ubuntu
graphics. (Alternatively, you can try editing the xorg.conf file I guess...)

Workaround: after hours of poking around....
1) Select recovery mode from grub (or add "single" to the init line).
2) Select boot to command prompt with network support (netroot??)
3) Enter the root password
4) apt-get remove xorg-driver-fglrx
5) Reboot
6) Select recovery mode again
7) Select option to fix xwindows (have to scroll down the selections I
believe)
8) Select option to boot to command w/network support, again.
9) startx to start the windows manager.