Internet Connection Problems

Hey everyone,  recently installed ubuntu 8.10, then upgraded to 9.04.  For
the most part everything has been working fairly well.  My only problem has
been with my wireless networking.  After being idle for some time I tend to
have an issue reconnecting to the web.

Also I have had a problem with signal strength.  Most times with Windows or
OS X 10.5 I had almost full signal strength to my wireless network.  Now, in
the same room as my AP, I get max 2/4 bars.

Anyone have any previous problems with this?

I am running Ubuntu on a macbook pro 2.16 intel core duo, with the base ath9
driver installed for my wireless card.

Thanks