The end is near for SCO (hopefully)

On May 6, 2009, at 3:06 PM, Jerry Feldman wrote:
> Basically, the Old SCO sold Xenix (a Microsoft developed version of
> Unix), and System V (a more modern version updated by AT&T). At the
> time, there were

If I remember my history correctly, SCO -- the original SCO -- began
life as a well-funded startup.  Well-funded by Microsoft.  Circa 1990,
NCR decided to get out of the UNIX business.  NCR sold its SVR3 source
license to SCO.  SCO merged the Xenix and NCR UNIX code trees to
create SCO UNIX.  SCO OpenServer is a merge of SCO UNIX and SVR4.

> a few versions of Unix that ran on PC hardware, but SCO was
> successful in the corporate market place and had a worldwide sales
> and service organization. It

I think a lot of it had to do with the fact that SCO didn't sell
hardware.  Every other commercial UNIX vendor of the period, circa
1990, was a hardware vendor.  SCO only sold the OS licenses. That is a
big draw in the semi-custom POS market.

--Rich P.