(OT) Dell Inspiron Laptop, Win XP, MoBo Test ?

Hello:

Family member has an early Dell Inspiron 5100 Laptop.
At first, I assumed that Win XP Home (OS) was corrupt?
But with extensive list of keyboard problems below, I
now assume MoBo got fried ???
Since processor runs (boots MS Word and paints screen OK)
is there a way to check smaller seqments of system functionality
or isolate MoBo functions?
Or is there enough in list below to simply say:
"Yup, you have a MoBo problem..."

Will not connect to Internet via DSL Modem (with cable).
Will not scan or show list of Wireless sites nearby...
Radio Receiver will (or can) not turn On to attempt Wireless scan or connect...

Many keys (or Keyboard) will not produce.
(Same indications using USB Keyboard as well...)
- With NotePad or MS Word 2007 booted or open:
   'm' key not produce char to Screen
   'M' key maps okay
    'a' maps O K
    'b, c' not map or generate char to screen
    'd' minimizes Word 2007 or NotePad
    'e' brings up My Computer dialog
    'f' brings up MS Search dialog
    'g' key maps okay (to screen)
    'n, o, p, q' key maps okay (to screen)
    'u'  brings up Utility Manager
    'v, w, x, y, z'  key maps okay (to screen)
    Most Upper Case chars map O. K.

Unit gets pretty warm, Fan must be bad ?

Comments???

-paulc