Home automation protocols

David Kramer wrote:
> Tom Metro wrote:
>> A bit ironic the way power savings and home automaton are at odds, due
>> to CFLs. Some of the lighting most suitable for automation, like outside
>> porch lights, are harder to automate because of this.
>
> Thereby making power savings even harder.

Right, but for the most part LED bulbs will solve that. I expect most
will work with TRIAC based circuits. (And they'll also be a step more
power efficient than CFLs.)

When recently shopping for a new outside light fixture, I decided to
avoid units made specifically for CFLs and LEDs, as the CFLs are pretty
much obsolete today (even if still cheaper) and the current LEDs will be
eclipsed by brighter/cheaper bulbs in the next few years. It's hard to
beat the common E26 "Edison screw" lightbulb socket as a standard. It's
a safe bet that it'll be supported by the latest lighting technology for
the next 50 years.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro