Home automation protocols

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 3:21 PM, Tom Metro<tmetro-blu-5a1Jt6qxUNc at public.gmane.org> wrote

> Bill Bogstad wrote:
>> My experience with dimmable CFLs over the last few years is that they
>> fail in less time then an incandescent.
>
> Interesting. I've never had much desire to dim CFLs, but have used a few
> dimmable bulbs to accommodate light switch circuits that use TRIACs
> (like a motion sensor light switch). I didn't have enough experience
> with them to notice any longevity differences, and eventually swapped
> out the switches, as the dimmable bulbs were too hard to find. (As the
> other poster mentioned, I think they've become more readily available now.)

This was more of a case of having 9? ceiling cans on dimmers in my
kitchen when we moved in.  I not only need dimmable CFLs, I also need
reflector bulbs.  I have CFLs everywhere else in my house (not on
dimmers) with great longevity, but the ones in my kitchen fail ALL the
time.  Average lifespan seems to be 6-9 months.  At around $10 a piece
X 9 bulbs, that adds up.

Bill Bogstad