Drive mirroring - opinion wanted

RAID-5 is inherently fragile, and we were using a hardware RAID
that didn't have proper monitoring tools available for Linux.

Mirroring is more robust than RAID-5.  Either way, it's imperative that
you set up an automated mechanism to monitor it so you're alerted
in a timely fashion when there's a problem that needs attention.