Wake-on-lan trigger device for my office PC -- using OpenWRT?

Brendan Kidwell wrote:
> I've determined that I can't send wake-on-lan messages to my PC from a
> remote host on the company VPN, nor does it work from a web server in the
> server room which is under my care.

Have you investigated why the WoL packets aren't getting through from
those locations?

Have you confirmed that the machine actually responds to WoL packets?

> Buy some other non-wifi-capable home router and put something like
> OpenWRT on it -- do these even exist anymore?

There are hundreds of small, low power Linux-running devices that can be
purchased cheaply that meet the criteria of having an Ethernet port and
can be customized. Going the OpenWRT or DD-WRT route with a router is
probably the simplest approach if you don't already own some other
device. Disabling the WiFi should be doable.

But I'd start with DSR's recommendation to check with the IT guys.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA