clone ubuntu installation

ref wrote:
> The problem with this is that it does not deal with the configs that may
> go along with the packages, and that is something that has bugged me for
> a while.

True. Though copying your home directory is something you'd likely do
when migrating to a new machine, and that'll bring over all your
personal application and most of your X environment settings.

As for system configuration files, in the past I've used RCS to manage
local changes across a small number of machines. Knowing what has been
changed locally is the first step to manually replicating a config on a
new machine. I'm currently looking into using a distributed version
control system (specifically Bazaar[1] - the functionality of git
without the brain damage :-) ) as a better way to do this.

And of course there are tools[2] specifically made for managing
configuration files across multiple machines, but likely way overkill
for a simple machine-to-machine migration.

1. http://bazaar-vcs.org/
2. http://reductivelabs.com/trac/puppet/

  -Tom

--