Wake-on-lan trigger device for my office PC -- using OpenWRT?

On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 11:45 AM, Brendan
Kidwell<sxfgry902-O/bDAPVd7B0N+BqQ9rBEUg at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> I like to power down stuff when I'm not using it -- save energy and save wear
> and tear and all that. But I'd also like to be able to remotely startup my
> office computer, since that's where all the good resources are, for example
> if I wanted to work at home on my laptop today.

Just don't power down your office PC. :)  Really, that's what I tell
users at work.  As long as the PC is going into suspend mode the power
draw isn't significantly different from it being "off".  Our desktop
PCs here at work draw 1W when "off" and approx. 3W when in standby.
Using our bills and assuming a PC is used 8 hours 5 days a week I
figured we waste about $4 over the course of a year per PC when the PC
is set to go into standby and about $1.33 if the person turns it "off"
each night.  Additionally from my side we can push things out off
hours (we're a mostly Windows shop) when the network is mostly idle.

<snip>

Tom