suggestion for USB IR receiver for MythTV?

On 06/13/2009 01:21 PM, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Quoting Jarod Wilson <jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org>:
>
>> What I'm actually using right now for my frontend is an MCE receiver
>> with a Logitech Harmony 880 remote, but I'm looking at finally making
>> use of the iMON device I've had for a while now:
>>
>> http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=NzEy
>>
>> I've been touching up the lirc_imon driver significantly the past week
>> or so, and looking around for a mini-itx case that has dual 5.25" bays
>> so I can put this and a Zotac ION motherboard in it... Only case I've
>> found that fits the bill so far is this one:
>>
>> http://www.logicsupply.com/products/venus_668b
>
> Doing this instead of using the Dell Studio Hybrid?

Yeah...

> Any particular reason?

Yes and no... There has historically been an issue with tearing with the
Intel graphics driver, which hits on the Hybrid. It was at least
somewhat fixed, but the fix caused other problems, so its been disabled.
While debugging some kernel mode-setting stuff on my hybrid, I
temporarily swapped in a box with nVidia graphics using the binary
nVidia driver. I forgot how damned good it is at video playback. The
intel driver isn't *BAD*, but I can tell the difference when watching
video with it vs. watching straight from my cable box, while the
difference between cable box an nVidia video is pretty much
indistinguishable. Then throw in the recent VDPAU support (video decode
offload to the GPU), and nVidia looks even sexier... Plus, I'd like to
make use of this LCD device, which does integrate quite well with MythTV.

> (I'm looking to create a new frontend/backend combo to live in my
> guest room, so I want something small, sleek, and quiet)

This is the board I wanna get to go w/that case an LCD:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813500030

Atom 330, so dual-core x86_64, but still relatively low-power (and
fanless) and nVidia GeForce 9400M graphics, which means full-fledged
VDPAU support. Even has both DVI and HDMI out onboard, along with
digital audio, eSATA, etc. Only down side w/it that I can see is the
lack of FireWire. Damn, didn't notice that 'til now, that would make
talking to my cable box less optimal...

--jarod