New Laptop questions

On Thu, 2009-06-18 at 15:45 -0400, Robert Krawitz wrote:
<snip>

>    Currently, I'm telling my friends that I've had the least install
>    problems with Acer machines; I'm on my way out right now to buy a
>    new Acer netbook (11" screen with a full-sized keyboard.)
>
> I've had very good luck with Dells (Inspiron 8000, 8200, and
> 9400/E1705).  They're also usually quite easy to fix or upgrade.

I used to love my 266CPi, work excellent with RH6 series and 7.1) but
the new 3 that I got all had problems within a year with the screens
blacking out. It kinda turned me off the Dells although I got quite
adept at opening up the case and pulling out the screen panel so I could
re-seat the data straps that kept coming loose.