Mac vs. PC costs

Real numbers from real life installations are always fun to see.  Vs the
FUD that M$ put out about how much more it cost to run Linux than M$
products some time ago.

I think most of us will concede that Mac costs more to acquire (initial and
software)
than PC based products.  But I have no clue how the continuing costs really
go.

Some friends have related horror stories about getting their Macs
maintained and failures, others think Apple walks on water.

Reality must be somewhere in between.

There is also a difference in costs related to commercial vs personal use.
Cost of
admins, amount of rack place, etc. ...

Hearing what any real differences are is an interesting issue!