Mac vs. PC costs

On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 01:21:23PM -0400, Robert Krawitz wrote:
>    From: Richard Pieri <richard.pieri-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>
>    Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 13:11:33 -0400
>
>    On Jun 20, 2009, at 1:57 AM, Tom Metro wrote:
>    > Care to share some numbers? I've ran comparisons between
>    > approximately equivalent Mac and PC laptops on several occasions,
>    > and the Macs always end up having a substantial price premium.
>
>    A new 17" MBP, 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 500GB disk: about $2500.
>
>    A new Dell Precision M6400, 17", 2.93GHz Core 2 Duo (closest match),
>    320GB disk (largest available): about $2500.
>
> And a year or two from now, the MBP will hold its value and the Dell
> won't.  Which is good for the Mac if you like the latest and greatest.
> If you live a generation or two behind the times, which I do, the
> value proposition is reversed.

Of course, if you don't tie your life to your fragile laptop,
you may discover that a $400 one serves pretty well. After two
years, it may be worth only $100 on Craig's List... but I'll bet
you the $300 depreciation in two years is much better than the
depreciation on either the Dell or the Apple, plus you saved
$2100 up front.

Buying expensive laptops is for people who either actually need
them (very few, I suspect) or for status symbols.

-dsr-

You can't defend freedom by getting rid of it.