OS X vs. desktop Linux

Richard Pieri wrote:
> I did push OS X as the best desktop Unix out there.  There's a reason
> for that.
> I had the epiphany within about 2 weeks.  I'm a Unix admin at work.
> With the Mac I don't have to be one at home if I don't want.  So, at
> least for me, Mac is more than just the parts or the premium price tag.

Can you elaborate?

I'm always curious to hear from people who use both platforms on a
regular basis what it is they find lacking on the Linux side.

To clarify, I'm not looking for general pros and cons. It's a given that
any OS distributed with hardware is going to be less hassle for the end
user than one that the user has to install.

What type of admin work do you do on your Linux desktop machines that
you find is not necessary on an OS X machine? Or is it more that the OS
X machine comes loaded with the system tools and configuration that you
find useful out-of-the-box, while the Linux system requires more
customization effort?

Does OS X permit you to do things you can't do with Linux? What
operations do you find are either impossible or less efficient with Linux?

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA