Mac vs. PC costs

On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 12:00 PM, Jarod Wilson<jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> The amount of money I've spent on repair, ongoing costs, whatever, for
> my c.2004 PowerBook is less than $200. I bought a new hard drive for it
> at one point (the original 80G got filled up) and upgraded the memory.

if someone takes good care of a macbook, maybe they won't get involved
with the ironic 'Genius Bar' shipping your laptop to Missouri for an
extended vacation. Luckily we had two independent local repair places
to choose from when daughter destroyed her MacBook screen with an
errant elbow, one's gone now, and the other is 100' north of the Apple
Store, how long can it hold out?

She also discovered the hard-way the superdrive will jam if you
regularly transport the macbook with a DVD disk in. and a paperclip
won't help you. cute industrial design but bad engineering. Maybe
they've improved it, but look for the pin hole. If it doesn't have
one, it's admitting something bad.

>  while the ThinkPad has the "ThinkLight" (what a > joke)...

works fine for me. and doesn't illuminate my face from below like a
horror story interlocutor.

my ibm thinkpad T41 is at the age where i need to replace the
backlight's inverter (endemic in T4x), which does make me want LED
backlight next time. And aluminum body sounds good. When the next
must-have MBP comes out, I may buy a gently used Aluminum body MBP as
an ubuntu platform.

--
Bill
n1vux-WYrOkVUspZo at public.gmane.org bill.n1vux-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org