TV USB Stick

On Jun 21, 2009, at 8:12 AM, Jerry Feldman wrote:

> This is not a Linux question per se. I want to get a USB TV tuner
> for my
> wife so she can watch TV on her laptop. While I'd prefer it be
> usable on
> Linux, I'm really only interested in an over-the-air digital USB TV
> tuner. Any recommendations (or non-recommendations) on brand. I've
> seen
> a few at about $50.

If you want it to Just Work and want both OTA and cable support (not
to mention both analog and digital support), I'd say get the Hauppauge
HVR-950Q. Not the cheapest, but its very well supported. If digital
cable really doesn't matter, the Hauppauge HVR-850 would fit the bill.

The only other usb stick I have direct experience with is the KWorld
PlusTV 340U, which is no longer shipping, at least, not as the 340U
anymore -- its been externally rebadged UB-435Q, but says 340U rev B
on the internal PCB... I have the rev A 340U working quite well now
under Linux, with my patches for it pending inclusion in the upstream
v4l-dvb mercurial tree. The rev B. is identical, save the tuner, which
actually complicates things on the Linux side, since the tuner needs
to be set up differently, but we currently have no way to tell which
tuner version is present until we configure the tuner... incorrectly,
in the case of the rev. B...

Not particularly familiar with any other devices.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org