FIOS

On Jun 24, 2009, at 1:46 AM, Tom Metro wrote:

> Jarod Wilson wrote:
>> Jarod has business service w/5 static IP...
>
> I thought it was only 1 static IP for the $99 price? (They don't
> seem to
> specify on their site.)

I believe I asked on the phone when I was signing up if I could get
more, and they said I could get up to 5 for no charge, so I did. Note
that its *not* a dedicated subnet though, in my case, I got 5 IP
addresses in a class C range with a class C mask.

> I still tend to think the incremental cost for a static IP with FIOS
> is
> not competitive with what the alternatives charge ($30 vs. $10 from
> most
> ISPs - that's a $240/year premium).

Hm. Hadn't thought about it like that. I went from the "well, I'm
paying for service at home anyway, and paying a colo cost, which
totals nearly $150/mo, so $100/mo looks like a deal, and I move my
colo'd box in-house..."

> Of course if their TOS varies (to permit servers) with the static IP
> option, then the dynamic IP offering is a misnomer to call it business
> class.

Yes and no. Plenty of businesses just need a pipe to the 'net, but I
agree that its a touch underhanded...

>> Unless they've lowered prices and I'm blindly still paying the higher
>> prices, I presume the $49.99 is for dynamic IP, no servers.
>
> I don't think they've lowered prices. Lets see...
>
> The $50 option is indeed with dynamic IP, a 2-year contract, and a
> step
> slower (15/5 Mbps) than the $99 service (20/5 Mbps) (which also
> requires
> a 2-year contract).

Oh good, so I'm not paying extra. :)

--